Paul's Prime Example of Justification by Faith
Definition of Justification: "Righteousness credited to a person's account" (Gal. )
- Just as the Galatians (and every other believer) received the Spirit by faith, EVEN SO Abraham was justified by faith (connecting Gal. ).
- Why Abraham? Wasn't Moses the one associated with the Law? Yes, but the Pharisees claimed Abraham as their father (see John ). The example of Abraham would be significant in proving to the false teachers that justification is by faith alone.
- Paul quotes Genesis as the biblical definition of justification by faith.
- Reckoned (logizomai) used in numerical calculations and tallying up the accounting ledger.
- God does not merely "forgive" the debt - He tallies up the ledger. God is able to reconcile our account because Christ paid our debt for us.
Physical lineage does not count for anything! (Gal. )
- "Those who are of faith" = those who have followed the example of Abraham and placed their faith in God's work on their behalf. Only those are "sons" (in the sense of heirs to the blessings promised to Abraham).
- Believers become part of the family of faith, of which Abraham is a primary member.
- It is possible that Abraham's actual physical descendants may not be related to him in the family of faith (see John ).
What opened the door for the Gentiles to be declared righteous before God? (Gal. )
- The Abrahamic Covenant - "All the nations will be blessed in you" (see Genesis ).
- The Scriptures declared that others could be justified in the same way as Abraham was justified before God.
All believers are blessed right alongside of Abraham the believer! (Gal. )
- WITH (para) = alongside, along with
- Believers, in turn, become examples which others can follow in putting their faith in the finished work of Christ on their behalf. Others can be justified before God in the same way as we are "reckoned righteous" - by following the example of Abraham, the believer.
Questions to consider:
My response: _________________________________________________________
- Do you realize that you owe a debt you can never pay?
- Do you understand that Jesus Christ suffered the full penalty for your debt in your place?
- Have you trusted in Christ's work on your behalf?
- Your faith in Christ is the trigger that God uses to tally up the accounting ledger in your favor by reckoning righteousness to you, just like He did for Abraham.
- If you have received so great a gift, what should be your response?
High Peaks Bible Fellowship
Our primary purpose is to uphold the truths of God's Word.
"I write so that you will know how one ought to conduct himself in the household of God,
which is the church of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth." (1 Timothy )
Our primary responsibility is to equip the saints for the work of ministry.
"And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers,
for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of
Christ." (Ephesians )
We meet regularly for verse-by verse teaching from the Word of God;
for encouragement and support as we grow in faith;
for prayer and service to advance God's work in our own time.